Monday, March 8, 2010

for days four days


I fell in love with a Maliseet ex Marine, some where in 1970. Our son was born in Oct. 1971. We helled around southern Calif. most of the next year. In Watsonville we had rented a small garage ‘apt’ with a nice big yard, so one day we invited a bunch of people we knew over for a cook out. Some people brought wild boar meat, some brought deer, and someone had sockeye salmon, a Real feast. We were all a bit amazed that we had all wild meat for our great party. Someone else brought Peyote buttons. I was in a mad dash to be a good hostess making sure everything was getting prepared. Because of that and because I did not trust hallucinagens, when the Peyote went around I refused. However, because I didn’t do much drugs and did not like alcohol, people always tended to make it a mission to get me buzzed, they kept at me, so since the baby was with my mother for the night,and after I made them explain the effects to me several times I finally reluctantly agreed. I can not describe how pissed I was when it began to take effect about the time food was ready and I just wanted to puck. I never even tasted wild boar, or the salmon, or the deer, and the 5 different salads! I spent the rest of the afternoon and long into the night sitting on my little sofa, lost in the ‘4 day’ place again, except this time it was only in my mind. Not one person came to find me or I can only assume even missed me.It was nothing like they had predicted. About 3 am My Love came to hassle me before he passed out on the bed.
Of those 10 or so hours I have little to report except: When I first sat down because my feet were tired and I was feeling a bit jittery, I picked up a ‘hippy’ magazine that lay on a shelf next to the sofa even though I had no attention to read. As I idly flipped though the pages I was captured by a small ink drawing of a native americian pipe. I was shown lots of places and lots of things I was ‘told’, not by the pipe exactly, many things that would come to be. All I could remember: I was told we (?)would meet again when Paul would guide. it would be clear. in the place of cold sweat would be my strength, the colors of circle my tool. fast for days for days four days four days…… remember the path shine the light for others.
I wrote those words before My Love came to pass out and I lost the rest. It was all gibberish to me, but I couldn’t help feel it was important. Sometime later I did a very nice pencil drawing of the pipe, which I kept for years, but lost eventually,somewhere.
Imagine how totally amazed I was when I found that piece of paper 20 years later. Amazed it still existed, because I had forgotten the whole thing. Even more Amazed THAT it meant Something and that I now Know what it means.




No comments:

Post a Comment