Friday, January 17, 2014

Winter Solstice 2012

Winter Solstice  
2012
Every year for the past 17 years I have hosted a Winter Solstice Ceromony/Celebration. This year, the year of the current dire perdictions, I sit in the middle for my collection of seasonal decorations weeping wondering what I am doing this for...
I do not belive in religion. They all seem to think their way is the only way, and hate and fight anyone who does not agree.
I love the idea that it is about celebrating, seems to me we were born into everything we need to survive, the rest is up to us to do it or not, like it or not. What then. The very intricate mecinisms of the earths rythems are nothing short of magic. So for me celebrating, even worshiping the 'turnings' of our world seems a really good place to start.
    So winter solstice. The Return of the Sun,( which got changed to the SON) works for me. But this time I am haveing problems finding the happy feelings about doing it. AND what about THIS year? The famous 2012! December 21, 2012!!
What if all the fears are true? What then, if this is the Last? What would you do for it? Notheing? Everything?
    Terry Prachetts, Granny Wetherwax, when asked 'What do you believe or don't beleive about the Gods' ? She said ' I know a few Gods, they mostly  play games, with more snakes than ladders, so no I don't have much respect for them. 'What DO you beleive in then?" She said, 'I believe in sweet tea, sunsets, that sort of thing.'
    In my favorite Myth, Sam says 'you gotta believe there is something in this world worth fighting for.'  'What Sam, what is it?' Sam replys,' that there is some good in this world. Heros in the stories are never asked if they want to do this, they are there, they all want to go back, but they go on so there will be something to go back to'
    I beleive a bit of both, I beleive there is something good, something beautiful worth going on for. I don't know if it is the Gods or not, but it is real and it is true. And it is ours; each and every one of us, to give and to recieve , to lift up and to be lifted up.  It is being lifted by witnessing the sunrise washing the world in golden light. It is being lifted by seeing your childs face light up, espicaly if it is something you did to inspire it! It is being filled with the feeling of bubbles birsting in your chest  seeing your friend laugh hard! It is the feeling you get from giving someone destitute something that makes them weep with releif............ There are countless more, you name a few.  Because it is ALL that matters. ALL that matters is as little or as much as what matters to you. What you give your attention to is what becomes important.
So if this is the Last Winter Solstice what "GOD" feeling would you regret leaving?
For me, there are many, and you are one.
*I said something like that in the ceremony and I said my God feeling from each one there! What a wonderful feeling! 
And by - the- way , this means You! Yes you too!
There is the deep power within each of you that  you offten fear to believe in, but it is real. It is true. To me that IS the Gods power! I wish for each of you the tenacity to forgive yourself and eachother for what you feel are your short comings. Your mistakes are your friends, your teaching.  Beleive in yourself and you beleive in God.  Not nessearily that you ARE God ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment